The club was initially formed in 1946 and has been active ever since. The most recent clubhouse was completed in 1973 and was built and fitted out by club members, such commitment to the club still being evident to this day.
Previously the clubhouse had been an 19th century lightship named "The Gull". Photographs and drawings around the club show this heritage. Sadly The Gull fell into a state of uneconomic repair and is now in the process of being removed. The light mast though was saved and is now found in pride of place at the top of our slipway and can be seen on the approach to the club.